A new PaTH to employment for young job seekers
You can gain valuable work experience by taking part in a PaTH internship.
The PaTH internships started on 1 April 2017.
A PaTH internship is a great opportunity to gain valuable skills in a range of industries. You’ll get on the job experience through a local employer with the potential to get an ongoing job at the end of it.
You may be eligible to take part if you’re 17 to 24 years of age and getting:
- Youth Allowance (other)
- Newstart Allowance
- Parenting Payment Single, or
- Special Benefit
You must also:
- be registered with jobactive, Transition to Work or Disability Employment Services, and
- have been getting employment services for 6 months or more
If you’re interested in taking part, talk to your employment services provider. PaTH internships are unpaid and voluntary, but we’ll pay you a $200 PaTH Internship Incentive each fortnight. This payment may impact the amount of your income support payment that you receive.
Your provider will tell us when you start a PaTH internship and we’ll automatically pay you the incentive. We’ll send you a letter to let you know when we’ll start paying the $200 PaTH Internship Incentive. You’ll get the payment for as long as you’re doing the internship.
The internships are 30 to 50 hours per fortnight and run for 4 to 12 weeks.
- about taking part in a PaTH internship on the jobactive website
- about the Youth Jobs PaTH Budget measure
- about support when you’re looking for work
- about payments for job seekers
- news for job seekers
Get information and tools to help you manage your money.