Helps with costs for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- enrolled in an approved course or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship
- not receiving any other financial help to study or do an apprenticeship or traineeship
Students, apprentices, and parents or guardians of children younger than 16 can claim ABSTUDY.
Eligibility & payment rates
To get ABSTUDY, you must:
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian descent
- identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- be accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived
- be an Australian citizen and normally live in Australia, and
- be covered under 1 of the 7 ABSTUDY Awards - ABSTUDY Awards describe eligibility for the different payments and allowances available under ABSTUDY
You also must not be getting any other financial help for your study or apprenticeship. For example, another income support payment or a cadetship.
You have to be either:
- enrolled in an approved course, for example, at secondary school, TAFE or university
- doing tests or assessments for entry into an approved course or the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program, or
- doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship
Read more about school to work transitions, including the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program, on the Department of Education and Training’s website.
Read more about apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
ABSTUDY can help with your costs for:
- living expenses, and
- travelling to your place of study each term or semester if you need to study away from home
There are 7 awards that describe eligibility for the different payments and allowances available under ABSTUDY.
We use a number of tests to work out how much you should be paid. We use the Independence Test to see whether you are dependent on your parents or guardians.
The amount of ABSTUDY you may get will depend on your personal circumstances.
You may get a higher rate of ABSTUDY if you need to live away from home to study or to complete your Australian Apprenticeship.
Helps cover the cost of travel between your permanent home and place of study if you need to live away from home to study and receive ABSTUDY.
Read more about the ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
Payment to help students with the costs of living away from home to study.
The amount of ABSTUDY you get depends on your situation.
If you study by distance education, you need to do an approved course with an approved institution.
If you are eligible:
- decide how to submit your claim
- complete your claim
- complete your supporting forms
- submit your claim before the closing date
- after we assess your claim we tell you the outcome
Managing your payment
Do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business using self service options, including our Express Plus mobile apps, online accounts and phone self service.
Read more about using self service.
If you're dependent and you get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY, we may need your parents’ or guardians’ income details each year.
You must tell us if things change as it may affect your payment.
You may get part of your income support early. This is an advance. You pay it back out of your normal payments from us.
Some people can get income support payments each week instead of each fortnight.
To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for ABSTUDY.
We work out our ABSTUDY payments using the ABSTUDY Policy Manual.
To learn more about the policy, read the ABSTUDY Policy Manual on the Department of Social Services website.
The VET Fee help scheme is being reformed to better protect students taking out a loan through the scheme.
Read more about the VET Fee help reforms on the Department of Education and Training website.
Select the options that describe your circumstances, then explore a list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.
Select your state and topics of interest to find links to government and community organisation support.
- ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
- Centrelink online accounts
- Child Dental Benefits Schedule
- Clean Energy Advance
- Crisis Payment
- Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card
- Income Bank
- Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance
- Pension Supplement
- Pharmaceutical Allowance
- Relocation Scholarship
- Rent Assistance
- Rent Deduction Scheme
- Schoolkids Bonus
- Sickness Allowance
- Student Start-up Loan
- Student Start-up Scholarship
- Youth Disability Supplement