Helps with costs for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- enrolled in an approved course or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship
- not receiving any other financial help to study or do an apprenticeship or traineeship
We may write to you, your parent or guardian in April 2016 about updating your family details. If you don’t get a letter, you don’t need to do anything. Read more about updating your family details.
Students, apprentices, and parents or guardians of children younger than 16 can claim ABSTUDY.
Eligibility & payment rates
To get ABSTUDY, you must:
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian descent
- identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- be accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived
- be an Australian citizen and normally live in Australia, and
- be covered under 1 of the 7 ABSTUDY Awards - ABSTUDY Awards describe eligibility for the different payments and allowances available under ABSTUDY.
You also must not be getting any other financial help for your study or apprenticeship. For example, another income support payment or a cadetship.
Students have to be either:
- enrolled in an approved course, for example, at secondary school, TAFE or university, or
- doing tests or assessments for entry into an approved course or the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program
Read more about school to work transitions, including the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program, on the Department of Education and Training’s website.
Apprentices, trainees or trainee apprentices must:
- be doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship, and
- have a current Commonwealth Registration Number
You do not need to know your Commonwealth Registration Number. We will get it from the Department of Education and Training.
Read more about apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
ABSTUDY can help with your costs for:
- living expenses, and
- travelling to your place of study each term or semester if you need to study away from home
There are 7 awards that describe eligibility for the different payments and allowances available under ABSTUDY.
We use a number of tests to work out how much you should be paid. We use the Independence Test to see whether you are dependent on your parents or guardians.
We may use income and assets tests to work out how much you should be paid. We may assess your income, your family’s income and your partner’s income.
You may receive a higher rate of ABSTUDY if you need to live away from home to study or to complete your Australian Apprenticeship. We will assess you against our criteria to see if you qualify.
Helps cover the cost of travel between your permanent home and place of study if you need to live away from home to study and receive ABSTUDY.
Read more about the ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
Payment to help students with the costs of living away from home to study.
The amount of ABSTUDY you get depends on your situation.
If you are a distance education student you need to be studying an approved course at an approved institution.
If you are eligible:
- decide how to submit your claim
- complete your claim
- complete your supporting forms
- submit your claim before the closing date
- after we assess your claim we tell you the outcome
Managing your payment
Do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business using self service options, including our Express Plus mobile apps, online accounts and phone self service.
If you're a dependant and get Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY or School Fees Allowance, your parents or guardians must do the parental income test each year.
Tell us if things change as it may affect your payment.
You may be eligible to receive part of your income support payment in advance depending on how long you have been getting it and the amount that you get.
In certain circumstances you may be eligible to receive your income support payment weekly, instead of fortnightly.
To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for ABSTUDY.
Select the options that describe your circumstances then explore a suggested list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.
Select your state and topics of interest to find links to government and community organisation support.
Getting control of your money can be hard, but we’ve got some great advice and tools to help. Read more about budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt, to help manage your money.
- ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
- Centrelink online accounts
- Child Dental Benefits Schedule
- Clean Energy Advance
- Crisis Payment
- Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card
- Income Bank
- Income Support Bonus
- Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance
- Pension Supplement
- Pharmaceutical Allowance
- Relocation Scholarship
- Rent Assistance
- Rent Deduction Scheme
- Schoolkids Bonus
- Sickness Allowance
- Student Start-up Loan
- Student Start-up Scholarship
- Youth Disability Supplement