Carer Supplement

An annual lump-sum payment to assist carers with the costs of caring for a person with a disability or medical condition.

Carers receiving an eligible income support payment whose payment for 1 July has been reduced to nil because of earnings will now qualify for the annual Carer Supplement.


To be eligible for Carer Supplement, you must be in receipt of one of the following payments on 1 July of each year:

  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Wife Pension with Carer Allowance, you can no longer make a new claim for Wife Pension
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Partner Service Pension with Carer Allowance
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Carer Service Pension

You do not need to apply for Carer Supplement. We will automatically make the payment into the bank account of eligible customers.

Payment rates

Carer Supplement is paid annually to carers who receive a qualifying payment for a period including 1 July. It is paid in addition to the eligible payment.

The supplement is an ongoing, non-indexed annual lump sum payment.

Eligible recipients of Carer Payment, Wife Pension, Department of Veterans’ Affairs Carer Service Pension, and Department of Veterans’ Affairs partner service pension receive $600.

All Carer Allowance recipients will receive a supplement up to $600 for each eligible person in their care. Some carers will receive 2 or more supplements, and those receiving a part-rate of Carer Allowance under shared care arrangements will receive a proportion of the supplement.

Child Disability Assistance Payment and Carer Supplement

Eligibility for Child Disability Assistance Payment is independent of eligibility for Carer Supplement.

The Carer Supplement and income-managed customers

The Carer Supplement is entirely income-managed.

Carer Allowance Health Care Card and the Carer Supplement

If you receive a Carer Allowance Health Care Card only, you will not be paid a Carer Supplement.

Shared care arrangements

For Carer Allowance customers who receive a proportion of Carer Allowance because they share the care with another person, Carer Supplement will be paid in the same ratio as Carer Allowance under their existing arrangements.

What to do if your account is overdrawn

There is support available to help you manage your money if you have overdrawn your bank, building society or credit union account.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn.

Manage your money

Getting control of your money can be hard, but we’ve got some great advice and tools to help. Read more about budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt, to help manage your money.

Page last updated: 17 February 2017