Centrelink Compensation Recovery
If you get compensation, it can affect your payments from us.
Who can get it
You can get compensation if you:
- have a work related illness
- get injured in a car accident
- slip or trip and hurt yourself
- get injured because of the negligence or fault of someone else
- get less sickness or accident policy payments because of payments from us
It covers lost income in Australia and overseas.
Impacts to your payment
We calculate your Centrelink payments based on your income. If you or your partner are getting compensation, it may change how much we pay you.
It could also affect your other payments.
You may need to repay money if we pay you too much.
Use the estimator to check how compensation affects other payments. Your legal advisor can use this too.
When not to use the estimator
Don’t use this compensation estimator:
- to check impacts to Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Benefit - call the Families line for this
- if you have lump sums awarded by a court or tribunal after a contested hearing
- a payment that’s only for weekly periodic payments
If you have questions after using the compensation estimator contact the compensation recovery team by:
We can tell you:
- how compensation affects Centrelink payments
- if you need to repay money
- if your compensation will stop Centrelink payments and for how long
If you have a compensation claim and get money from us, we may need information from you to review your payments.
Start your claim
Download and complete a Notes for Compensation and damages form.
If you don’t have access to a printer
If you can’t print the form go to a service centre and ask for the Compensation and damages form.
Submit your claim
You need to give us:
- your claim form
- any other documents we ask for, such as:
- evidence from insurers
- copies of policies
Reviews and appeals
You have the right to appeal any decision we make.
Read about reviews and appeals.
Solicitors and insurers
You may want to get legal advice about compensation. We have information to help solicitors and insurers.
Read about information for solicitors and insurers.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read about how to manage your money.