Centrelink Indigenous phone service

If you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, or both, you can access our Centrelink Indigenous phone service anywhere in Australia.

The Centrelink Indigenous phone service is for Indigenous people, particularly remote customers, who may not have direct access to other Centrelink facilities.

You will be able to speak to someone about your specific Centrelink payments and services.

To use this service you will need to be registered for Centrelink phone self service.

Before you call, you will need:

  • your Customer Reference Number (CRN)
  • your confirmation of identity information. This can include things such as your:
    • Medicare card
    • driver's licence
    • concession card
  • your personal identification number (PIN) - this was issued to you during the Centrelink phone self service registration process

If you don't have a PIN, you can call 136 240 to get one.

Call the Centrelink Indigenous phone service on Freecall™ 1800 136 380 Monday to Friday between 8 am and 5:30 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time.

When you call it is important to stay on the line. If you hang up and redial, you may end up waiting longer.

If you are calling us about your payment, check your payment with your bank first. If you still need help you can call us or use your Centrelink online account through myGov.

We cannot give you information about someone else, even if they are family, unless we have their written permission or they are with you when you call.

If you want someone else to handle your Centrelink, Child Support or Medicare business you can authorise them to deal with us on your behalf.

Page last updated: 5 February 2016