Clean Energy Advance

The Clean Energy Advance helped eligible households with everyday expenses.


If you received one or more of the following payments between May 2012 and June 2013 and met residence requirements, you would have received the Clean Energy Advance automatically.

  • Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B
  • Age Pension
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Parenting Payment Single
  • Widow B Pension
  • Wife Pension
  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • Austudy
  • Exceptional Circumstance Relief Payment
  • Newstart Allowance
  • Parenting Payment Partnered
  • Partner Allowance
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Seniors Supplement
  • Special Benefit
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance

A second Clean Energy Advance payment was paid automatically to youth and most students with their first regular payment from 1 July 2013 to cover the period from July – December 2013.

Payment rates

The rate of the Clean Energy Advance you received depended on your circumstances, and the payment you regularly received.

Lump sum Family Tax Benefit customers

The Clean Energy Advance was paid in respect of the 2012-13 financial year. If you claim Family Tax Benefit as a lump sum at the end of the financial year, the Clean Energy Advance was automatically included when your 2012-13 lump sum claim was processed.

Blended families and shared care arrangements

If both you and your partner were in receipt of Family Tax Benefit in the 2012-13 financial year, you would have both received the Clean Energy Advance based on your blended family or shared care percentage.

If only one person in the household was in receipt of Family Tax Benefit, the Clean Energy Advance would only have been paid to that person.

Approved Care Organisations

Approved Care Organisations who receive Family Tax Benefit would have automatically received a Clean Energy Advance payment on 27 June 2012.

The Clean Energy Advance rate was based on 1.7 percent of the annual Family Tax Benefit Part A base rate only, multiplied by the number of children in care.

What to do if your account is overdrawn

There is support available to help you manage your money if you have overdrawn your bank, building society or credit union account.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn.

Manage your money

Getting control of your money can be hard, but we’ve got some great advice and tools to help. Read more about budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt, to help manage your money.

Page last updated: 2 May 2017