Closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries – September 2015 - Income Recovery Subsidy
Assistance if you have experienced financial hardship as a direct result of the closure of the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens on 4 September 2015.
The Hunter River and Port Stephens fisheries will reopen on 1 October 2016. The financial assistance package for individuals and businesses experiencing financial hardship as a result of the closure of the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens is ending on 25 November 2016.
About the Income Recovery Subsidy
A short term fortnightly payment for individuals who can demonstrate their income has been affected as a direct result of the closure of the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens on 4 September 2015.
The Income Recovery Subsidy can be paid from the date you have, or will have, incurred a loss of income as a result of the closure of the fisheries up until 25 November 2016.
If you are a member of a couple you must qualify for the subsidy in your own right. Both you and your partner can claim this subsidy if eligible.
The Income Recovery Subsidy is a taxable payment and is considered income for tax purposes. If you pay or receive child support or receive Family Tax Benefit, you may need to revise your taxable income estimate.
Read more about adjusted taxable income and how this may impact on other payments you receive.
To be eligible for the Income Recovery Subsidy you must:
- engage in commercial fishing, excluding oyster farming, in the closed fisheries
- be an Australian resident and living in Australia while receiving this payment
- be 16 years or older and another person is not receiving a Commonwealth payment on your behalf that is higher than the income threshold for this payment
- derive more than 50% of your income from the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens
- demonstrate a financial loss as a direct result of the closure of the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens, and
- not be receiving, or have an entitlement to, another income support payment or pension
You’re required to provide evidence to support your claim. This will include identity documents and records of earning. If you cannot provide evidence immediately, you should submit a claim and provide the evidence to us within 28 days.
If you are finding it difficult to work out your income, please call us on 180 23 22.
More information about the evidence needed is in the Income Recovery Subsidy – closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries, September 2015 – claim form.
If your circumstances change whilst receiving the Income Recovery Subsidy, you must inform the Department of Human Services within 14 days.
Please note that eligibility will cease on 25 November 2016.
For more information about the Income Recovery Subsidy please call 180 23 22.
You can submit your claim in person, by post or fax.
Your claim must be submitted by 25 November 2016. If you are already receiving the Income Recovery Subsidy you do not need to reapply.
If you wish to make a claim, please:
- download and complete the Income Recovery Subsidy – closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries, September 2015 – claim form
- submit your claim, with supporting evidence:
- in person, at your nearest service centre
- by post, sending to:
Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7815
- by fax to 1300 727 760