Disability Employment Services
Providing specialist help for people with disability, illness or injury to find and keep a job.
Disability Employment Services providers
Disability Employment Services providers offer a range of services, including:
- helping you to prepare for work, including training in specific job skills
- job search support, such as résumé development, training in interview skills, and help with looking for suitable jobs
- support when you're initially placed into a job, including on the job training and coworker and employer interaction
- ongoing support in a job if you need it
- the purchase of vocational training and other employment related assistance
- access to help with workplace modifications, support services, and Auslan interpreting in the workplace
Types of services
There are 2 types of Disability Employment Services available:
- Disability Management Service - for people with disability, an illness or injury who need help from an employment service but aren't expected to need long term support in the workplace
- employment support service - for people with permanent disability and with an assessed need for longer term, regular, ongoing support in the workplace
Register as looking for work
You can register as looking for work by:
- registering directly with a local Disability Employment Services Provider - you can find a provider through the Australian JobSearch website
- calling our employment services line on 132 850, or
- visiting your nearest service centre
If you are already working and need assistance to retain your job, you should approach a Disability Employment Services provider directly. Disability Employment Services can assist you with a Job in Jeopardy program.
Australian Disability Enterprises
Australian Disability Enterprises provides a wide range of supported employment opportunities for people with disability who are able to work at least 8 hours per week.
It is located across Australia and employs people with all types of disability and other support needs. Work opportunities may be available in a variety of industries, such as:
- screen printing
- garden maintenance and landscaping
- cleaning, laundry and food services
You can contact an Australian Disability Enterprise directly to discuss available job opportunities. We can also refer you following an Employment Service Assessment or Job Capacity Assessment.
Read more about working in an Australian Disability Enterprise on their website.
Disability Champion Paul’s story
Paul talks to us about how working part time has helped him gain new skills, friends and confidence.