Disability Employment Services
Providing specialist help for people with disability, illness or injury to find and keep a job.
Disability Employment Services providers
Disability Employment Services providers offer a range of services to support your individual needs, including:
- help to prepare for work, including training in specific job skills
- job search support, such as résumé development, training in interview skills, and help in looking for suitable jobs
- support when initially placed into a job, including on the job training and coworker and employer support
- ongoing support in a job if required
- the purchase of vocational training and other employment-related assistance
- access to help with workplace modifications, support services, and Auslan interpreting in the workplace
Types of services
There are 2 types of Disability Employment Services.
Disability Management Service
This service is for people with disability, illness, or injury who need the help of an employment service but do not expect to need long-term support in the workplace.
Employment Support Service
This service is for people with a permanent disability and with an assessed need for longer term, regular, ongoing support in the workplace.
Register as looking for work
We can register you as looking for work even if you have not yet completed the registration process. Let us know you are looking for work by:
- visiting your nearest service centre
- finding a local Disability Employment Services provider through Australian JobSearch website, or
- calling the Employment Services line on 132 850
Australian Disability Enterprises
Australian Disability Enterprises provide a wide range of supported employment opportunities for people with disability who are able to work for at least 8 hours per week.
They are located across Australia and employ people with all types of disability and various support needs. Work opportunities may be available in a variety of industries such as:
- screen printing
- garden maintenance and landscaping, and
- cleaning, laundry and food services
Customers can contact an Australian Disability Enterprise directly to discuss available employment opportunities. We can also refer a customer to an Australian Disability Enterprise following a Job Capacity or Employment Services Assessment.
Read more about working in an Australian Disability Enterprise on the Department of Social Services website.
Other employment assistance
We provide other employment assistance for people with disability who are looking for work.
Disability Champion Paul’s story
In this Disability Champion video, Paul talks to us about how working part time has helped him gain new skills, friends and confidence.