Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card

Helps you with cheaper medicines and other concessions. You need to renew each year.


You can get an Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card if you:

  • are between 16 and 25 years of age
  • are a full time student
  • were receiving a Carer Allowance Health Care Card on the day before you turned 16 years of age
  • meet residence requirements


The Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card entitles you to cheaper medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

You may also be entitled to some extra concessions from state and local government authorities and some private organisations. Health Care Card concessions vary in each state and territory. Please check with the organisation providing the concession.

When using services covered by Medicare, you will need to show your Medicare card as well as your Health Care Card.

Residence requirements

To be eligible for an Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card you must:

  • be an Australian resident
  • be physically present in Australia on the day you submit your claim, and
  • continue to meet the residence requirements for as long as you hold this card

Newly arrived residents generally have a 104 week waiting period, with some exemptions.


You can claim the Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card either online or by using a paper form. You should register an intent to claim to let us know you are seeking a card from us before you submit your paper claim form.

Read more about claiming.


Your Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card is valid for 1 year. You will need to reapply to renew your card. You can renew your Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card by calling us, using your Centrelink account online or by using the paper claim form.

Travelling outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country your Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card will be cancelled when you leave.

If you leave Australia temporarily, your concession card will remain current for up to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks your concession card will be cancelled and you will need to reapply once you return to Australia.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you are leaving Australia and you:

  • are going to live in another country, or
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks

Otherwise you do not need to tell us that you are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Manage your money

Getting control of your money can be hard, but we’ve got some great advice and tools to help. Read more about budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt, to help manage your money.

Page last updated: 21 June 2017