Grandparent Advisers

Give extra support to grandparents and other non parent carers with ongoing responsibility for children.

How we help

Grandparent Advisers:

Grandparents and other non parent carers

If you provide ongoing care for children and are not their legal parent, you may be a non parent carer. There’s extra support for you like child care payments and Medicare services.

Being a non parent carer goes beyond helping the parents, such as babysitting or school pick-ups. If you’re paid to babysit while the parents work, you may be able to become a registered carer.

Claiming payments

You can claim most payments using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Register for an online account if you don’t have one.

It’s a good idea to keep records for your claims. This includes:

  • formal agreements such as court orders or documents from a government agency about care arrangements of each child
  • dates, times and documents that show a child is in your care, such as school attendance and health records

If you’re getting a payment from us, it’s important to tell us if your circumstances change so we can pay you the right amount.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to help you find, estimate and compare payments and services that you may be eligible for. You can also talk to our grandparent advisers about your situation.


Call our Grandparent Adviser Line on Freecall™ 1800 245 965. Calls to ‘1800’ numbers from your home phone are free. Calls from public and mobile phones may be timed and charged at a higher rate.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us through a TTY phone.

Further support

Help is available if a child was placed in your care as a result of state or territory intervention. Contact your local, state or territory government for more information.

You can find other government and community services using Service Finder.

Page last updated: 14 June 2017