Helping Young Parents

Help for young parents while they complete a Year 12 or Certificate II equivalent qualification.

About the program

If you are a young parent, you may be eligible to receive help to start a course or training that will lead to a Year 12 or Certificate II equivalent qualification.


You may be eligible if you:

  • are 19 years of age or younger
  • receive Parenting Payment, and
  • live in 1 of the following Local Government Areas:
    • Bankstown, Shellharbour or Wyong, NSW
    • Logan or Rockhampton, Qld
    • Greater Shepparton or Hume, Vic
    • Playford, SA
    • Burnie, Tas
    • Kwinana, WA

Participating in the program

To participate in the program, you will need to:

  • attend interviews
  • develop a Participation Plan, and
  • do the activities you agree to in your Participation Plan

Missing interviews or not participating in your agreed activities may mean your payment is stopped until you do these things. If you are having trouble meeting these commitments, you need to contact us or visit your nearest service centre. We will talk with you about how we can help you get back on track.

We will work with you to identify a learning path towards your qualification. This may include attending a local high school or TAFE. In some circumstances, distance or online learning courses might be a better choice.

We will also help you access local services for your child and meet your parenting responsibilities. We will take into account your needs and circumstances as well as those of your child.

You will need to attend an interview with us every 6 months from the time your child is 6 months old, until they turn 6 years old.

We will write to you when your child turns 6 months old to ask you to meet with us to talk about:

  • support available in your local area to help with parenting needs
  • options for study or training
  • early childhood health
  • learning and development support services, and
  • any barriers you might have to participating in the program

When your child turns 1 year old, we will meet with you and together we will develop a Participation Plan to help you achieve your Year 12 or a Certificate II equivalent qualification. The study activities included in your plan will be flexible and based on your circumstances and family needs.

If you get your qualification or work part time

When you achieve your Year 12 or Certificate II equivalent qualification, you can choose to remain in the program voluntarily.

If you work part time you can still participate in the program.


MoneySmartMoneySmart offers free independent guidance to help people make the most of their money.

Read more about MoneySmart

Page last updated: 5 February 2016