International Social Security Agreements

International social security agreements help governments share responsibility for the social security support of people who have lived and worked in more than one country.

Countries that have International Social Security Agreements with Australia

Australia has 30 international social security agreements.

These agreements help people who migrate between agreement countries get social security benefits listed in the relevant agreements.

Responsibility for social security may be shared between the agreement countries where you have lived between certain ages. In some instances you may be able to receive pensions from more than one country, with each paying a part pension to you.

Australia has agreements with a number of countries to share responsibility for social security coverage.

Read more about Countries that have International Social Security Agreements.

Who the agreements help

The agreements help if you have lived in Australia and agreement countries and have been covered by the social insurance scheme of those agreement countries.

The payments you may be able to get vary between different countries and their social security agreements with Australia. All agreements cover Age Pension. Other payments which may be claimed include Disability Support Pension, Carer Payment for an adult, Double Orphan Pension, and Parenting Payment single.

How the agreements help

The agreements may allow you to continue to get social security entitlements when you move between countries. They may help by:

  • allowing you to submit a payment claim in either Australia or the agreement country
  • allowing you to submit a claim in a third country where this is allowed under the relevant agreements
  • allowing you to add together your periods of social insurance, or residence in some cases, in an agreement country and your periods of Australian residence, to meet the minimum requirements for an Australian pension or a pension from the agreement country
  • overcoming any agreement country’s payment restrictions on citizenship or country of residence

Pension rates under the agreements

Everyone’s circumstances are different, but the amount you receive is affected by your income and assets. It is not possible to advise the amount you will receive until you have been individually assessed. In addition to your income and assets affecting your payment, the following rules also apply:

  • each country usually pays you a part pension
  • foreign pension rates are usually proportional to the length of your social insurance period in that country
  • Australian pensions are usually paid at a proportional rate outside Australia based on residence in Australia during your working life and as a top up pension inside Australia - that is, any pension you receive from the country under whose agreement you are being paid will generally reduce your Australian pension on a dollar for dollar basis
  • some agreements allow special treatment of certain payments made by either country, including exemption from income testing

Claiming a foreign pension while in Australia

A claim form for a foreign pension from any agreement country can be posted to you in Australia by calling International Services, or by visiting any service centre.

You can get a claim form for a foreign pension from a non-agreement country only by contacting the social security authority in that country.

For contact details for many countries, or help with your claim, call International services or visit a service centre.

If you are receiving or claiming certain Australian payments, including an Australian Age Pension, you and your partner must take steps to claim a pension from the country you lived in, or provide a reason why a claim would be unsuccessful.

Claiming an Australian pension while outside Australia

You cannot claim an Australian pension unless you are residing in Australia or in an agreement country.

If you are living in an agreement country there are several ways in which you can claim an Australian pension. These include:


We have a range of translated publications in your language.

Page last updated: 12 April 2017