Skills for Education and Employment
A program to help you get and keep a job by building your skills in speaking, reading, writing and basic maths.
To join this program you must:
- be 15 to 64 years old
- be looking for full time work
- be an active job seeker registered with:
- have the right to work in Australia
If you’re 22 or older, you must also be getting one of these payments:
- Disability Support Pension
- Newstart Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Partner Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Widow B Pension
- Youth Allowance
- Special Benefit
If you’re not getting one of these payments, you may still join if you’re:
- 15 to 21, or
- a new resident serving the Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period for payments from us
How to join
When you first register as a job seeker, we’ll check if you’re eligible for the program. If you are, we’ll talk to you about joining.
You can talk to us at any time if you want to take part. If you’re eligible, we’ll arrange for you to join.
How it works
- We make an appointment for you with a local training provider.
- They assess your speaking, reading, writing and maths skills. They’ll offer training at the right level to improve your skills.
- You train for 10 to 25 hours a week.
What it’s like
The courses are in small, friendly groups with other people who need help with the same things. The trainers have special skills and experience in teaching adults.
If you can’t go to face to face training, you can learn at home by distance education.
How it helps you
Your training will give you more confidence when you look for work. For example, you’ll find it easier to:
- fill in forms
- write letters
- prepare your resumé
- write job applications
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Supplement
This is an extra payment for some people in the Skills for Education and Employment program.
Who can get it
You must be:
- in the Skills for Education and Employment program
You can’t get the supplement if you’re getting:
- Pensioner Education Supplement
- ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement, or
- an Approved Program of Work Supplement, such as for Work for the Dole, Green Army part time or Community Development Programme activities
How to get it
You don’t need to apply. We’ll automatically check if you can get it when you start Skills for Education and Employment.
If you’re eligible, we’ll pay it with your main payment every fortnight while you’re in the program.
The supplement is $20.80 per fortnight.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read how to manage your money.