Financial Information Service
A free, confidential service that provides education and information on financial issues to all Australians.
You need to know
The Financial Information Service helps you make informed decisions about investment and financial issues for your current and future needs.
We can help you:
- increase your confidence in dealing with financial issues related to investment
- understand your own financial affairs
- understand your options
- be discerning when choosing experts and know how to use expert information
- use credit in a sensible way
- increase your savings and plan for the future
- plan effectively for your retirement
- understand the financial implications when you, or someone close to you, is considering moving into residential care
We can explain:
- the levels of risk of each financial product type
- the roles of financial industry professionals
- the advantages of reducing personal debt
- how you can maximise your overall retirement income
Financial Information Service officers can show you how to make informed financial decisions. They can help you understand the consequences of those decisions in the short, medium and long term. It’s never too early to start planning.
Financial Information Service officers can talk to you about:
- taking control of your finances so that you can actively plan for your retirement
- how to prepare for lifestyle choices in retirement, even while you are still working
They are not financial planners or counsellors and do not:
- sell or give advice
- prepare financial plans
- recommend any particular type of investment
- tell you how to invest your money
- purchase investment products
- make decisions about your pension or calculate the rate at which you can be paid - they have no authority to do this but may be able to estimate what your payments will be
Our FIS officers are not financial advisers. Watch the choosing a financial adviser video for basic information on what you need to know when choosing a financial adviser.
Financial Information Service is confidential
Any personal information given to Financial Information Service officers will be treated as confidential. However, you should be aware that the information you provide can also be used to adjust the rate of Centrelink payment you may receive if the rate is incorrect.
Financial Information Service officers provide information on financial matters.
You can get this information:
- at financial information seminars
- at personal appointments, for more complex issues, or
- over the phone on 132 300 - say Financial Information Service when prompted
You are welcome to bring someone else with you when you visit a Financial Information Service officer; for example, a relative, friend, carer or financial planner.
You can also arrange for someone else to speak with the Financial Information Service officer for you. To safeguard your privacy, you will need to sign an authority allowing them to do this.
If you prefer to use a language other than English, they can also arrange for an interpreter.
Read more about someone to deal with us on your behalf.
Free financial information seminars, known as FIS seminars, are held in a range of locations across Australia and are open to all Australians.
Attend a FIS seminar if you:
- want to know more about saving and investing
- are nearing retirement and want to know how to prepare for it
- are retired and want to understand your pension and the options you have
To make a FIS seminar booking you can:
- email email@example.com - you will need to:
- include the title, date and location of the seminar you are interested in
- provide an alternative contact such as a phone number
- allow a minimum of 3 days prior to the seminar when booking by email, or
- call the FIS seminar booking line on 136 357, from 8 am to 5 pm AEST
You can ask us to present a seminar or a series of seminars specifically targeted for your group or organisation. To request a seminar call the Financial Information Service on 132 300.
To make sure that your request is directed to the officer in your local area, please state that you are requesting an officer to be a presenter at a seminar, and include details of:
- the name of your organisation
- your location
- your contact details
- your preferred dates
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in New South Wales.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in the Australian Capital Territory.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in Queensland.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in South Australia.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in Tasmania.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in Victoria.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in Western Australia.
Find upcoming financial information service (FIS) seminars in the Northern Territory.
The Financial Information Service savings planner will help you to budget for savings. You should use this planner if you need to budget fortnightly.
Select the options that describe your circumstances, then explore a list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.
Read the Seniors - publications and articles on the Department of Social Services website.