After your baby is born

There are a few things you should do in the months following the birth of your baby. These things will help make it easier for you and your baby as they grow.


Immunise your baby according to the National Immunisation Program Schedule. Some of our family assistance payments can only be paid for children who are immunised or have an approved exemption. You can use the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register to keep track of their immunisations.

Read more about immunisation.

You may be entitled to a flexible working arrangement to help you transition back into the workplace.

Read more about your rights on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

Supporting Working Parents logo

Use the Supporting Working Parents website to find out about your rights during parental leave and when returning to work from leave.

There are a range of payments and services available.

Read more about child care.

If it is before the end of your Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay period.

Read more about Parental Leave Pay and returning to work.

If you are returning to work for the first time since the birth of your child or since your child entered your care, you may be eligible for a higher rate of Family Tax Benefit Part B.

Read more about Family Tax Benefit.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use service finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read about money management and simple strategies for financial security on the MoneySmart website.


Page last updated: 3 May 2016