You may be able to get income support payments if you are undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship.
Australian Apprentice definition
An Australian Apprentice is a person who is registered and undertaking a full time apprenticeship or traineeship under the Australian Apprenticeship.
Read more about apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
If you are a full time Australian Apprentice, you may be able to get 1 of the following income support payments to help cover living costs while you train:
- ABSTUDY - helps with costs if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian who is undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship or studying
- Austudy - provides financial support if you are 25 years of age or older and are a full time student or apprentice
- Youth Allowance - provides financial help for people 16 to 24 years of age who are studying full time, undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship, training, looking for work or sick
You may also be eligible for:
- Rent Assistance to help you pay your rent
- Income Bank to help you keep more of your income support payment if you earn money from paid work
If you are ill, injured or have disability
If you cannot meet your obligations as an apprentice because you have a short term illness or are injured, you may still be able to get financial support during this time.
Eligible apprentices who have disability can get extra support. If you are a young person who has a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability and you get certain income support payments, you may be able to get the Youth Disability Supplement.
Other government and community support services
There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information that is helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.
MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the HELP from the Government section on the MoneySmart website.
Find your nearest Australian Apprenticeship Network provider on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
There is a range of extra assistance when calling us with languages, translations, hearing or speech impairment.