Disabled, ill or injured and looking for work

We provide financial support and other assistance to people with disability, illness or injury to help you study or find and keep a job.

Financial assistance

Pensioner Education Supplement helps students improve their chance of finding a job through study by helping with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

Mobility Allowance helps you to participate in approved activities if you have a disability, illness or injury. The allowance helps with transport costs if you cannot use public transport without extra help, either permanently or for an extended period.

It is important that you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means we can continue to pay you correctly.

If you pay or receive child support, you should make sure we know about your situation. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. If you don't tell us when your circumstances change, you may not receive important information, payments to you may be delayed or you might have to pay more child support or pay back child support that you have been paid.

You can update your child support arrangement by calling us or using your Child Support online account through myGov. Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Information and employment services

Job in Jeopardy assistance is available if you are at risk of losing your job because of illness, injury or disability. Under this program you may receive personalised support to help you to maintain your employment.

Disability Employment Services providers play a specialist role in helping you to find and keep a job if you have a disability, injury or health condition.

There are self service computers and printers available in our Centrelink service centres to assist you if you are looking for work. You can use these facilities to do things like create and print a resumé.

If you are deaf, hearing or speech impaired, the National Relay Service free telephone service can help you make a call through a third person. Read more about how to make a call on the National Relay Service website.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides information about how to access the NDIS for funding for long term, individualised care and support that is reasonable and necessary to meet the needs of people with an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent (lifelong) and that stops them from doing everyday things by themselves. The NDIS also provides a comprehensive information and referral service to help people with disability access mainstream disability and community supports.

JobAccess offers help and workplace solutions for people with disability looking for work and it also helps their employers.

Access the jobactive website to look for jobs across all industries and regions within Australia. You can also use jobactive to find Employment Services Providers and Disability Employment Services providers near you. The free jobactive app can be downloaded from the Google Play or the iTunes App Store.

Health Direct provides information on maintaining health and wellbeing.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Page last updated: 20 June 2016