Employment income confirmation
We check your employment income is correct so you get the right amount.
Our compliance program
We have an obligation to protect the integrity of the Australian welfare system. As a part of this process we match data with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and other government agencies. As part of our usual compliance program we identify incorrect payments, adjust payments or recover money owed if needed.
Confirm your employment income
Watch our video to learn why it is important to confirm your employment income.
Employment income confirmation letters
You will only get a letter if there’s a difference in the employment income information provided by the ATO and the information you reported to us.
Please note, these are not debt letters. Our letter will ask you to check the information provided by the ATO carefully. You need to check the:
- name of your employer or employers
- dates you worked for them
- amount of income you earned
You should check your details carefully, make sure:
- your employer may be listed under their registered business name, instead of their trading name. Your bank statements, pay slips or group certificate may have this information
- you check the dates you worked for your employer against your group certificate or separation certificate. The dates you worked affect how we calculate your payment amount
- you check the income amounts against your group certificate or payment summary. We use the income details to calculate your correct payment
- you enter your income for each fortnight. Remember, your income may vary so you should check your pay slips or bank statements for the correct income information. We may ask you to send us copies of these
You can call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help.
If you don’t respond by the due date
You have 28 days from the day you collect your letter to confirm or update your details. We will send you a reminder letter after 14 days. If you need more time, you can ask for an extension online.
If you don’t confirm or update your information we may apply the employment income and dates from the ATO to your record.
This may result in a debt you will need to repay.
Call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help.
Confirm or update your details online
Use our Employment Income Confirmation system to confirm or update your employment details online.
If you have a Centrelink online account linked to a myGov account you can:
- sign in to myGov and select Centrelink
- select the Employment Information link on the To Do tile, or
- select compliance then employment income from the main menu
If you have a letter with a confirmation code:
- follow the information in your letter to confirm your identity and get access to the Employment Income Confirmation system
You will need:
- your customer reference number and confirmation code from your letter
- an email address or mobile phone number so we can send you a security code
- your Medicare card and your Australian driver licence or passport
You can call our dedicated employment income confirmation line on 1800 086 400.
You can call us if you’ve lost or forgotten your confirmation code. You may need to answer some questions to help us identify you.
You can call us yourself or appoint someone to deal with us on your behalf.
You can give us new information and we will reassess your situation. You can also ask for a review at any time.
If you don’t have internet access, you can go to any of our service centres.
We also offer a referral service to our social work services.
Please don’t use your regular payment phone line to make an enquiry about your letters or the Employment Income Confirmation system.