Employment income confirmation
We check that your employment income is correct so you get the right amount.
Our compliance program
We have an obligation to protect the integrity of the Australian welfare system. As a part of this process we match data with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and other government agencies. As part of our usual compliance program we identify incorrect payments, adjust payments or recover money owed if needed.
We look at differences in the income:
- recorded by the ATO for your employment dates
- you reported to us when getting a payment
Employment income confirmation letters
You will only get a letter if there’s a difference in the information we have for you. These are not debt letters. We need your help to confirm or update your details.
You need to check:
- employer details
- income amounts
- employment periods
Your letter will tell you when you need to confirm or update your details. We may ask you to provide bank statements, pay slips or other evidence.
You can call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help.
If you don’t respond by the due date
You have 28 days from the receipt of your letter to confirm your details. We will send you a reminder letter after 14 days. If you need more time, you can ask for an extension online.
If you don’t confirm or update your information we may apply the employment income and dates from the ATO to your record.
This may result in a debt you will need to repay.
Call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help.
Confirm or update your details online
The Employment Income Confirmation system is one of the ways we support our compliance program. You can use our system to confirm or update your employment details online.
If you have:
- a letter asking you to help us confirm or update your employment details, and
- a Centrelink online account linked to a myGov account
- sign into myGov and select Centrelink
- select the reminders tile or
- compliance > employment income from the top left hand menu
If you have a letter with a confirmation code:
- follow the information in your letter to confirm your identity and get access to the Employment Income Confirmation system
You will need:
- your customer reference number and confirmation code from your letter
- to provide an email address or mobile phone number so we can send you a security code
- your Medicare card and your Australian driver licence or passport
You can call our dedicated employment income confirmation line on 1800 086 400.
You can call us if you’ve lost or forgotten your confirmation code. You may need to answer some questions to help us identify you.
You can call us yourself or appoint someone to deal with us on your behalf.
You can give us new information and we will reassess your situation. You can also ask for a review at any time.
If you don’t have internet access, you can go to any of our service centres.
We also offer a referral service to our social work services.
Please don’t use your regular payment phone line to make an enquiry about your letters or the Employment Income Confirmation system.