Family Day Care operators compliance reviews

We check the income you get from your Family Day Care operation has been reported correctly.

We may get information from the Department of Education that you have been working as a Family Day Care educator. We will send you a letter, asking you to contact us to confirm or update your details. When you contact us, we will discuss with you your individual circumstances. We will ask you for additional information we may need about you.

Details we need

We will ask you about your Family Day Care work. You must answer all these questions as accurately as you can.

  1. When did you start working as a Family Day Care educator?
  2. Are you still working? If not, when did you stop?
  3. Which service providers, past and present do you have contracts with?
  4. How are you paid? For example, by a Provider or parents, or through a bank account or cash.
  5. What services do you provide?
  6. What are the ages of the children you educate?
  7. How many hours a day, days per week, and weeks per year do you provide care?

Details about your tax returns

We will need details about your lodged tax returns for this business with the ATO.

You will need to provide us with all full Income Tax Returns. Including a breakdown of expenses and a depreciation worksheet with details of the assets purchased.

If you have not lodged your tax returns

If you have not lodged your tax returns we will need to know more about your Family Day Care business.

Details about purchases you’ve made for your business

  1. Are there assets that you have purchased in order to operate your business that you have not previously advised us?
  2. What was the cost of the item?
  3. What percentage do you use the item for your business?
  4. Do you provide food, meals or snacks?

Details about your property

  1. How many rooms in your household are used for child care compared to the total number of rooms in the home?
  2. Do you use any room exclusively for your business?
  3. Do you own or rent your home?
  4. How much rent do you pay each week?
  5. How much mortgage do you pay per month?
  6. What are your total annual household costs?
  7. Did you incur any expenses relating to the household? Such as utilities, phone, internet, and insurance.

Details about car use

  1. Do you require the car for your business?
  2. Do you own or lease the car?
  3. Do you drop off or pick up children?
  4. What calculation method was used when claiming motor vehicle expenses? For example: log book, cents per kilometre, 12% of original value, 1/3 of actual expenses.

Documents you need to provide

We will ask you to send us:

  • a Profit and Loss statement if your income has changed since your last Income Tax Return
  • an Education Payment History Report for all relevant financial years

If you don’t respond or provide information we may apply the information we have to your record.

How to submit documents

You can submit documents:

  • online using the document lodgement service in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink app
  • sending them to us by mail or fax
  • by visiting a service centre
We’re testing a new website design. Try it out and tell us what you think. Read more about changes to this site.

Page last updated: 4 August 2017