You can claim Medicare benefits in a variety of ways. Your benefit will be paid into the bank account registered with us.
You can submit claims for anyone listed on your Medicare card or for someone who is not listed on your Medicare card if you’ve paid for the service.
At your doctor’s practice
The easiest way to claim Medicare benefits is through your doctor’s practice, if they offer electronic claiming.
They can send the claim to us through a secure internet connection or through the practice's EFTPOS terminal using your EFTPOS card. Your Medicare benefit will be paid directly into the bank account registered with us.
If your doctor’s practice does not offer electronic claiming, you can claim your Medicare benefit yourself using one of the following options.
Submit your claim using your Medicare online account through myGov. Not all consultations can be claimed through your Medicare online account.
Read more about which item numbers can be claimed this way.
Express Plus Medicare mobile app
Medicare claim form
You can submit a Medicare claim form:
- by post
- at your local service centre
- using a drop box in a service centre
- at a participating private health insurer if they use Medicare two way
Submit a claim over the phone by calling us.
Before you call, make sure you have the following details ready:
- your Medicare card number, and the patient’s Medicare card number if you are claiming on their behalf
- the bank account details where the Medicare benefit is to be paid
- the doctor’s receipt
You can now call us using one of the following options:
- Medicare general enquiries line – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- hearing and speech assistance – if you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you can use the National Relay Service to contact us
- Multilingual Phone Service line – 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday
A service officer will ask you to confirm your identity and the details of the service.
After you have submitted your claim over the phone, post all your documents and receipts related to the claim to:
PO Box 7857
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Your claim will be finalised and paid into the nominated bank account when we receive your documents.