Payments for Indigenous Australians

We provide services and payments to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.

Financial assistance for Indigenous Australians

ABSTUDY provides help with costs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.

Relocation Scholarship is a payment made once a year if you are in higher education and moving to or from a regional area to study.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan for eligible higher education students.

Student Start-up Scholarship is a payment made twice a year to help with the upfront costs of study for eligible higher education students. From 1 January 2016, this scholarship is not available to new student income support customers.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps with the extra costs of educating children who cannot go to an appropriate state school on a daily basis because they:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have a disability
  • have special health needs

You may also be able to get the Remote Area Allowance if you receive certain income support payments such as Newstart Allowance or Age Pension and live in a remote area.

You can choose to identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian by completing the Medicare Voluntary Indigenous Identifier form.

Support services

There are a range of support services available for Indigenous Australians.

The Community Development Programme provides job seekers living in remote areas with greater opportunities to gain local employment and skills to match local jobs.

The Indigenous Access Program improves the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians through better access to Medicare services. Medicare services include the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the Australian Organ Donor Register, the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register and other services.

The Medicare Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access Line is a free telephone service that helps you access Medicare services and programs from anywhere in Australia.

Indigenous Specialist Officers will provide you with information about our payments and services and help you access them.

Indigenous Call Centre

The Indigenous Call Centre is for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australians, particularly remote customers, who may not have direct access to other Centrelink facilities.

You will be able to speak to someone about your Centrelink payments and services on Freecall™ 1800 136 380.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area. provides you with support to understand your tax and superannuation obligations. connects you to information on Australian Government Indigenous initiatives and programs including early childhood, schooling, health and safety. connects you to information and services across Australia including comprehensive information for Indigenous Australians.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.

Page last updated: 28 June 2016