Payments for older Australians

Payments and services for older Australians who are retired, planning for retirement or considering working past age pension age.

Financial assistance for older Australians

The Age Pension provides financial assistance and access to a range of concessions for eligible older Australians. If you meet the age and residence requirements, we will calculate how much Age Pension you can get, depending on your income, assets and other circumstances.

If you receive Age Pension you may also be eligible to receive help with living and household costs. If you are still working past age pension age you may get a partial Age Pension payment.

Read more about Age Pension and planning your retirement.

If you have lived or worked outside of Australia and are claiming or receiving ,  we may also ask you to apply for a pension from the other countries you have lived or worked in.

If you are legally blind and you are not claiming Rent Assistance, you may get Age Pension without being assessed against the income and assets tests.

Transfer to Age Pension

If you are age pension age and receiving an eligible Centrelink income support payment you can apply to transfer to Age Pension.

Read more about transferring to Age Pension.

There are other payments and supplements available as well, such as the Pension Loans Scheme, which can help you if your capital is tied up in assets and you need more income to live on.

Self funded retirees may be eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and related payments and services.

Widow Allowance helps women born on or before 1 July 1955, with no recent workforce experience who have become widowed, divorced or separated since turning 40 years of age.

If you are caring for someone with a disability, medical condition, or who is frail aged, you may qualify for Carer Payment or Carer Allowance.

Our online estimators let you estimate the amount of Age Pension you may be able to get and compare other payments you may be eligible for.

Help with living and household costs

We have payments to help you with your living and household costs.

Rent Assistance gives extra financial help if you rent privately and receive a payment from us.

Energy Supplement is an ongoing payment if you receive a pension or are a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holder.

Help with health care expenses

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence meet some of the costs of incontinence products.

The External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program assists  women who have had a mastectomy as a result of breast cancer. Under this program, eligible women can claim  reimbursement for new or replacement external breast prosthesis purchased after 1 July 2008.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use service finder to locate assistance in your local area.

MoneySmart MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Over 55s section on the MoneySmart website.

myagedcare has information on a wide range of community, aged care and support services. You can find advice about what help is available, assistance at home, aged care homes, and caring for someone.

If you are feeling depressed, anxious or stressed, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

Australian Hearing has information to help people manage their hearing impairment so they have a better quality of life.

Page last updated: 11 February 2016