Retrenched or made redundant

If you or your partner has taken a termination or redundancy payment from an employer, we can provide you with support while you look for work.

Termination, redundancy or voluntary unemployment

If you or your partner has taken a termination payment, you may be subject to an Income Maintenance Period. Other waiting periods may also apply.

If you became unemployed voluntarily you may need to serve an Unemployment Non-payment Period. Other waiting periods may also apply.

Child support

If you pay or receive child support you should tell us about your change of situation. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. You can update your child support arrangement by using your Child Support online account through myGov or by calling 131 272.

Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Employment services

A jobactive organisation, Community Development Programme or Disability Employment Services provider can work with you to help you get back into the workforce as soon as possible. Depending on your circumstances, these providers can help with:

  • job search training and assistance, such as resumé preparation and advice on the best ways to look for work
  • access to telephones, computers, stationery and employment vacancy listings
  • access to training, skills development and other assistance you may need

Read more about jobactive on their website.

If you live in a remote area, you may need to participate in the Community Development Programme. It provides job seekers living in remote areas with greater opportunities to gain local employment and skills to match local jobs.

Read more about the Community Development Programme on the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website.

Support while you look for work

If you have lost your job, we can provide support to you while you are studying, training or looking for work and participating in activities to increase your chances of finding work.

Income support

A number of different income support payments are available that may suit your circumstances:

Use our Payment Finder to see what payments you may be entitled to.

Payments to help you study or train

There are also a range of payments to help with the cost of living while you study or train.

  • Austudy provides financial help to full time students and Australian Apprentices 25 years of age and older
  • ABSTUDY provides help with costs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship
  • Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are:
    • studying or training full time
    • undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship
    • looking for work, or
    • temporarily unable to work

In addition to these payments you may be able to get other payments to help you study or train.

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps students improve their chance of finding a job through study. It helps with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

You may also be able to get Education Entry Payment to help with the cost of study.

Financial Information Service

The Financial Information Service is a free, confidential service that can help you make informed decisions about your current and future financial and lifestyle needs.

Social work services

Our social workers can help you during difficult times in your life by providing counselling, support and information.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

If your employer went bankrupt or entered liquidation

If you lose your job because your employer went bankrupt or entered liquidation, you may be able to get financial assistance to cover some unpaid entitlements through the Fair Entitlements Guarantee or the General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme.

You cannot make a claim for unpaid employer superannuation contributions through FEG or GEERS.

Read more about claiming your outstanding superannuation on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Fair Entitlements Guarantee (FEG)

If your employer went bankrupt or entered liquidation on or after 5 December 2012, you may be able to claim some of your unpaid entitlements through FEG.

Read more on the Fair Entitlements Guarantee on the Department of Employment website.

General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme (GEERS)

If your employer went bankrupt or entered liquidation before 5 December 2012, limited financial assistance may still be available to you through the GEERS.

Read more on the General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme on the Department of Employment website.

Temporary financial relief

Temporary financial relief may be available if you are having trouble paying off a loan or mortgage because of losing your job. Contact your bank or financial institution to find out how they can help you.

If they do not agree to a reasonable request made by you, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Credit and Investments Ombudsman via their websites and ask to have the decision reviewed.

Information for employers

You should ensure your employees are aware of the support available to them if they are retrenched or made redundant. We can help you provide support and information to your employees who are facing redundancy or retrenchment. You can tell them to contact us to register for employment services and to test their eligibility for income support. This includes employees who may not be eligible for income support, but want to access employment services. If more than 15 employees will be impacted, we can assist you to by arranging advice in the workplace.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the losing your job section on the MoneySmart website.

Help for workers who have recently lost their job provides information about extra support if you have been made redundant from an eligible company in the automotive, manufacturing and textile, or clothing and footwear industry.

Page last updated: 10 May 2016