Support for Indigenous Australians
We provide payments and support to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
Financial assistance for Indigenous Australians
ABSTUDY helps with costs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.
Relocation Scholarship is a payment made once a year if you are in higher education and moving to, or from a regional area to study.
Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan for eligible higher education students.
Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps with the extra costs of educating children who cannot go to an appropriate state school on a daily basis because they:
- live in an isolated area
- have disability
- have special health needs
- Centrelink - by telling us
- Medicare - by completing the Medicare Voluntary Indigenous Identifier form
Our support services
There is a range of support services available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians:
- Community Development Programme - provides job seekers living in remote areas with greater opportunities to gain local employment and skills to match local jobs
- Indigenous Access Program - improving the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians through better access to Medicare services such as the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the Australian Organ Donor Register, and the Australian Immunisation Register
- Medicare Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access Line - a free telephone service that helps you access Medicare services and programs from anywhere in Australia
- Indigenous Specialist Officers - can provide you with information and access to our payments and services
Indigenous Call Centre
If you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian and don't have direct access to Centrelink facilities, call the Indigenous Call Centre to speak to someone about your Centrelink payments and services.
Other government and community support services
There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.
- Australian Tax Office (ATO) provides you with support to understand your tax and superannuation obligations
- Indigenous.gov.au connects you to information on Australian Government Indigenous initiatives and programs including early childhood, schooling, health and safety
MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.