Support for new arrivals to Australia

We have payments and services to help you if you have recently arrived in Australia to live. Waiting periods and other conditions may apply.

Help in your language

We can help you if you speak a language other than English. For example:

Support for new arrivals to Australia

If you receive your payment by cheque, the way we pay you will change in 2016. Register your bank details through myGov, or call or visit us today.

As a new arrival, you could be entitled to payments and services from the Australian Government. What you can get depends on your residence status. Waiting periods and other conditions may apply.

We also provide payments to support new arrivals who are experiencing hardship. Crisis Payment is a one-off payment that helps those who have experienced difficult or extreme circumstances.

Special Benefit is a payment that helps people who are in severe financial need because of reasons outside their control and who cannot receive any other Centrelink pension or benefit.

To help you learn English you may be eligible for a referral to the Adult Migrant English Program or the Skills for Education and Employment program if you need assistance with your language, literacy or numeracy skills.

An Assurance of Support is a commitment to support a person applying to migrate to Australia, so that the migrant will not have to rely on income support payments.

We also provide free interpreters to help you with information about our payments and services. Interpreters can be requested anytime you call, book an appointment or visit us.

Our Multicultural Service Officers work with community groups and other agencies to help refugees and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds link up with Australian Government services.

You can also call our multilingual phone service on 131 202 and speak to someone in your language about income support payments and services.

For help with Medicare or Child Support services in your language call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website. connects you to information and services across Australia including information on living in Australia.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

Once you are eligible to work in Australia, Australian JobSearch is a free online jobs website with job vacancies across all industries and regions with Australia.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection provides access to a range of information about Australian visas and Australian citizenship including links to useful resources and support services.

Page last updated: 17 February 2017