Support for refugees and humanitarian entrants

You may be entitled to payments and services if you have arrived in Australia with a Refugee or Humanitarian Visa, or were granted a Permanent Protection Visa in Australia.

Australian Government assistance for refugees: fact v fiction - Information about the hoax emails which have been circulated throughout Australia claiming to describe the social security entitlements of refugees compared with those of other Australian residents.

Help in your language

We can help you if you speak a language other than English.

Services to support refugees and humanitarian entrants

We provide a range of services to support refugees and humanitarian entrants who are new to Australia and in need of support.

The Crisis Payment is a one off payment to helps those who have experienced difficult or extreme circumstances.

We also provide free interpreters to help you with information about our payments and services. Interpreters can be requested anytime you call, book an appointment or visit us.

Our Multicultural Service Officers work with community groups and other agencies to help refugees and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds link up with Australian Government services.

You can also call our multilingual phone service and speak to someone in your language about Centrelink payments and services.

For help with Medicare or Child Support services call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) National.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Other languages publications section on the MoneySmart website. connects you to information and services across Australia.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

Australian Red Cross provides information about advocacy, relief and support services for vulnerable people in need.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection provides access to a range of information about Australian visas and Australian citizenship including links to useful resources and support services.

Page last updated: 17 February 2017