Tax time

What you need to do to make sure you are paid the right amount at the end of each financial year and information to help prepare your tax return.

Find out if you need to lodge a tax return

The quickest and easiest way to find out if you need to lodge a return for 2015-16 is to read the Do you need to lodge a tax return? 2016 information on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

The ATO is a member service of myGov. Read more about how to lodge your tax return online using your myGov account on the ATO website.

Access Centrelink payment summaries

If you need to lodge an income tax return and you use the ATO's free online lodgement options, myTax, or a registered tax agent, your Centrelink income information will automatically be pre-filled for you from early to mid-July 2016.

You don’t need to contact us - you can view, download or request a copy of your Centrelink payment summary using your Centrelink online account through myGov or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Balancing your family assistance payments

Your family assistance payments are balanced at the end of each financial year. We compare the income estimate you gave us to your actual family income to make sure we pay you the correct amount.

The balancing process is now simpler and easier, which means you don’t have to call. Not everyone receiving family assistance has to do the same thing at tax time to balance their payments. What you have to do is based on your circumstances.

Read more about balancing your family assistance payments.

Child Support

If you pay or receive child support, your taxable income is used to calculate child support payments. This means you either need to lodge a tax return, or tell Child Support what your taxable income is. The easiest way to tell Child Support is by using your Child Support online account through myGov, or the Express Plus Child Support mobile app.

Read more about how your income is used to calculate child support payments, including other ways to tell us your income.

Changes to your child support payments may also affect your Family Tax Benefit Part A.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Income tax section on the MoneySmart website.

Visit the Australian Taxation Office or call 132 861 for more information about how to lodge your tax return.

Page last updated: 6 February 2017