When your baby is born

Now that your baby is born there are some things you need to do to start receiving payments and accessing services from us.


When your baby was born, you would have received a Parent Pack from your hospital or midwife. It contained a Newborn Child Declaration.

Ensure that the doctor or midwife has completed the Proof of Birth declaration and that you record your Centrelink Reference Number, if known, on the back page.

Providing us with your child's details and proof of birth is not a claim for payment but is used to:

  • support your claim for Family Tax Benefit, Parental Leave Pay and Dad and Partner Pay
  • enrol your child with Medicare, and
  • register your child for a digital health record in the My Health Record system

Giving us this information is easy—you can do it online. Read more about giving us proof of birth.

You can do most of your business with us using our mobile apps, online services or phone self service. Read more about self service.

You are required to register the birth of your baby with your state or territory government. Registering the birth is free. When you do this, you may wish to purchase a birth certificate for your baby. Read more about registering the birth of your baby in your state or territory.

You will need to have registered, or applied to register, the birth of your baby to receive:

If you are a single or separated parent, read more about child support basics.

This will help you to take control of your child’s health information. Read more about eHealth and how to register on the Department of Health website.

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read about money management and simple strategies for financial security on the MoneySmart website.


Page last updated: 3 May 2016