Education guide - Prescribing Esomeprazole under the PBS for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
Information about prescribing Esomeprazole under the PBS for the healing and maintenance of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
Esomeprazole is subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) for the healing and maintenance of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD).
- Esomeprazole 20mg tablet is subsidised under the PBS for the maintenance of healed GORD
- Esomeprazole 40mg tablet is subsidised for healing of GORD. Esomeprazole 40mg tablet is not subsidised under the PBS for the maintenance of healed GORD
The following flowchart can help you make sure you are correctly prescribing Esomeprazole under the PBS for the healing and maintenance of GORD.
Esomeprazole may also be prescribed under the PBS for the following indications:
- Pathological hypersecretory conditions including Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and idiopathic hypersecretion
- Scleroderma oesophagus
- Initial treatment of gastric ulcer
Matching your patient's condition with the PBS restriction is a mandatory requirement. When writing a non-PBS prescription, endorse the prescription as 'non-PBS' to make your intentions clear to the dispensing pharmacist.
Contact us for PBS authority telephone applications.
- PBS website to view the Schedule
- Education services for health professionals to access other education resources
Read more information about our website disclaimer.