Gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST) - adjuvant
The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme subsidises imatinib mesylate for patients with resected primary gastrointestinal stromal tumour with high risk of recurrence.
The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme subsidises imatinib mesylate for patients with resected primary gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST) with high risk of recurrence.
For patients with completely resected primary gastrointestinal stromal tumour with a high risk of recurrence, treatment with imatinib mesylate (Glivec®) can be subsidised through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), under section 85 of the National Health Act 1953.
The Schedule of Pharmaceutical Benefits on the PBS website outlines restrictions for prescribing imatinib mesylate.
Up to five repeats will be authorised for an initial application.
Authority approval for continuing treatment may be requested in writing, send written applications to the Complex drugs address on the contact us page or may be obtained by contacting us on the Complex Drug Enquiry line.
Schedule item details
Dose - The treatment must not exceed a dose of 400 mg per day for a period of 36 months in total.
Glivec® is available in tablet form:
- Glivec 100 mg tablets in a pack size of 60 and
- Glivec 400 mg tablets in a pack size of 30
Patients must meet the relevant criteria as indicated in the restrictions and be eligible for the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
The following reports are required for initial PBS subsidised applications:
A copy of pathology report(s) from an approved Australian pathology authority confirming:
- the diagnosis of a gastrointestinal stromal tumour
- the presence of CD117 on immunohistochemical staining
- the size and mitotic rate of the tumour
- the date of tumour resection, which must not be more than three months prior to the date of the initial application
Lodging an application
All initial application requests must be made in writing. Send all written applications to the Complex drugs address on the contact us page. Authority approval for continuing treatment may be requested in writing or may be obtained by contacting us on the Complex Drugs enquiry line.
- lodge Gastrointestinal stromal tumour – adjuvant Initial PBS authority application Supporting information form (PB057) for a patient starting initial PBS-subsidised treatment for gastrointestinal stromal tumour, adjuvant treatment
For more information contact us on the Complex Drugs enquiry line.