Severe active granulomatosis with polyangiitis, or severe active microscopic polyangiitis
The PBS subsidises rituximab for patients with severe active granulomatosis with polyangiitis, or severe active microscopic polyangiitis.
Patients with severe active granulomatosis with polyangiitis, or severe active microscopic polyangiitis, can be subsidised for treatment with rituximab (MabThera®). This is subsidised through the PBS under Section 100 of the National Health Act 1953.
Section 100 arrangements
Rituximab (MabThera®) is only available to a patient who is attending:
- an approved private hospital
- a public participating hospital, or
- a public hospital
and is a
- day admitted patient
- non-admitted patient, or
- patient on discharge
The hospital provider number must be included on the application form. This item is not available as a PBS benefit for in-patients of the hospital.
The Schedule of Pharmaceutical Benefits on the PBS website outlines restrictions for prescribing rituximab (MabThera®) to patients.
Schedule item details
Rituximab (MabThera®) is available as:
- 500 mg/50 mL injection, 1 x 50 mL vial
- 100 mg/10 mL injection, 2 x 10 mL vial
At the time of application, you must:
- clearly indicate the strength of rituximab (MabThera®) required, and
- request the appropriate number of vials to provide sufficient medication for 4 weeks of treatment
This drug is PBS subsidised for the:
- induction of remission, which includes patients who have received treatment with rituximab for this condition before 1 January 2016, or
- re-induction of remission for patients who have previously received and responded to the PBS subsidised treatment with rituximab (MabThera®) for this condition
Lodging an application
For a patient starting initial PBS subsidised treatment with rituximab (MabThera®), all applications must:
- be made in writing
- include a completed authority prescription, and
- include Severe active granulomatosis with polyangiitis, or severe active microscopic polyangiitis Initial PBS authority application Supporting information form (PB 174)
Send all written applications to the Complex Drugs Programs address on the contact us page.
For more information contact us on the Complex Drugs Programs enquiry line.