Information about changes to skin services under Medicare
What you need to know about claiming and billing skin services from 1 November.
From 1 November 2016, there are changes to the way skin services are billed under Medicare, making it easier for you to claim.
The changes to skin excision and skin flap items include:
- streamlining 54 services into 28 new services, with improved item descriptors to match clinical best practice, and
- measuring lesions by defect size
Refer to the education guide for help claiming skin excision or biopsy items under the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). It includes claiming information and a diagram to help calculate the defect size.
For more information go to mbsonline.gov.au
- Read about the changes to MBS skin services in the Skin lesion excision and biopsy items – basic principles for claiming under Medicare education guide
- Read more news for health professionals
- Subscribe to news for health professionals and get regular updates directly to your inbox