National Bowel Cancer Screening Program for health professionals
The National Bowel Cancer Screening Program currently offers free bowel cancer screening to eligible Australians turning 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 and 74 years of age.
The Australian Government announced the accelerated implementation of biennial screening for bowel cancer in the 2014-15 Budget. The changes will be introduced over five years and be fully implemented by 2020 with all Australians aged 50 to 74 years being invited to screen every two years.
Eligibility and payment rates
Payments are made to general practitioners and specialists who provide information about consultations and procedures that resulted from a positive program faecal occult blood test (FOBT) result.
A payment is made for each correctly completed program form for a program participant following a general practitioner visit, colonoscopy or histopathology in relation to a positive program FOBT result.
The following payments are made for each correctly completed form:
- $14.30 (GST inclusive) for each Colonoscopy Report or Histopathology Report
- $7.70 (GST inclusive) for each GP Assessment Form or Adverse Outcomes Report
To be able to receive program payments you must first:
- complete a Payment Account Details for Service Provider form on Cancer Screening website
- advise us of your Australian Business Number (ABN)
- enter into a recipient created tax invoice agreement by completing the Notification of ABN and Medicare Australia reference IDs for tax treatment purposes and Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI) Agreement form
To be paid for submitting a program form, the form must be:
- for a program participant who has received a positive program FOBT result
- correctly completed
The following program forms are available on the Cancer Screening website:
- GP Assessment Report
- Colonoscopy and Histopathology Report
- Procedure Report – Adverse outcomes
- Histopathology Report
The following program form is available via Health Professional Online Service (HPOS):
- GP Assessment Report
Read more about accessing the NBCSP in HPOS
Completed forms can be submitted:
- online via HPOS (GP Assessment Report only)
- online via the Cancer Screening website
- by free fax to 1800 115 062
- by mail:
Reply Paid 83061
Hobart Tas 7001
Monthly payments will be paid to your nominated bank account on the 9th or next working day for correctly completed forms lodged the previous month. Monthly statements will be provided for reconciliation and taxation purposes.
Payments are subject to GST.