Learn how to create and use a Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account to securely access specific government services.
Provider Digital Access (PRODA) is an online authentication system based on a username, password and verification code to log in. The system is designed to provide secure access to specific government services. This solution is an alternative to Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) individual certificates, smart card or USB tokens and multiple username and password logins which are used to access these services.
To create an account, you will need to:
- set up a username and password
- verify your identity, and
- select either the Healthcare providers and administrators community tile or the NDIS for providers community tile
Your identity will be verified online and in real time using the government’s Document Verification Service (DVS).
PRODA is digital, portable, and unlike PKI individual certificates, doesn’t need additional hardware or software installed. Each time you access PRODA you will need to enter:
- your username
- your password, and
- a unique verification code
The code will be sent to you via SMS, email or generated on the mobile iOS or android app you set up after downloading from the App Store or Google Play respectively.
PRODA is digital, portable, doesn’t need additional hardware or software to be installed and only requires one username and password to access multiple services. Users can change and manage their PRODA account details online including changing name or contact details.
Anyone can register for a PRODA account.
It is important that each person has their own account because the services and information each person can access is determined on the level of authority granted by each individual service connected to PRODA.
PRODA accounts can only be created online from the PRODA login webpage.
A PRODA account can be created by completing the following steps:
- Create your account – you need to provide basic personal information, create a username and password, and provide contact information for the secure management of your account
- Verify your identity – verify your identity online using federal, state and territory government-issued identity documents that requires you to provide key information from your documents
- Select your community– you need to select either the Healthcare providers and administrators community tile or the NDIS for providers community tile to access online services through PRODA
You will need the information from at least 3 identity documents to create an account.
- an Australian driver’s licence
- a Medicare card, and
- an Australian passport or foreign passport with an Australian immigration visa linked
These 3 documents are the most likely to be verified successfully online through the Document Verification Service (DVS) which PRODA uses to conduct identity verification online and in real time.
These documents can also be used:
- Australian birth certificate
- citizenship certificate, and
- certificate of registration by descent
If your name differs across the documents due to a change of name, you will also need a change of name certificate or an official marriage certificate.
If you are unable to verify your identity using DVS you can submit Manual identity verification for Provider Digital Access form (HW080).
Before you can use Provider Digital Access (PRODA) to securely access Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) your identity must be verified. We do this with Document Verification Service (DVS).
We need to confirm your details, which are recorded on a range of identity documents issued to you over your lifetime.
We use the online DVS to match the details of your identity documents against those held by the issuing organisation.
Verifying your documents
To verify your documents, we need you to provide key details from these documents.
To help you identify the information needed, select the appropriate certificate type and the state or territory where your certificate was issued. For further guidance visit the Unique Student Identifier (USI) website where there are example certificate images.
You can verify your identity with DVS using:
Your PRODA account may allow access to services that involve personal and financial information.
It is important we correctly verify your identity and that you do not share your logon details with anyone else. Each person accessing PRODA needs to have their own account.
You can manage your PRODA account details online including changing your preferred method of receiving your verification code, change of name or contact details, by selecting My details from the PRODA menu.
A PRODA account does not replace, nor have any impact on:
- Medicare PKI site certificates
- Medicare PKI individual certificates
- National Authentication Service for Health (NASH) PKI organisation certificates, or
- NASH PKI individual certificates
We do not support the use of PKI for purposes outside of their intended use.
Settings established in services when using a PKI individual certificate, such as delegates and favourites, will not be carried over when you log in to these services using a PRODA account. You will need to set them up again when you log in for the first time using your PRODA account.
Your computer needs to meet certain requirements to access the PRODA system to set up an account and use the services.
Read more about Supported browsers.