Complaints and feedback

We value your feedback. Make a complaint, give a compliment or offer a suggestion. It can help us improve our service.

You have the right to ask for a review of the decision. You can do this if you don’t agree with a decision about:

  • your Centrelink payments or services
  • a Medicare debt, or
  • child support

If you’re a business or health professional, you can also give us feedback or make a complaint. Please use the specific options available for you.

How to make a complaint, suggestion or compliment

If you wish to make a complaint or offer us a suggestion or compliment, you can:

  • speak to one of our staff:

    • you can talk with any of our staff, and if you’re not happy with their response you can speak to their manager
  • call us:

    • if you need help with a complaint, call 1800 132 468
    • if you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, you can use the National Relay Service - a national phone and internet service
    • if you’re overseas, call us on one of our international phone numbers
  • write to us:

    • online
    • send us a letter - postage is free from within Australia
      Centrelink and Medicare
      DHS Complaints and Feedback
      Reply Paid 7800
      Canberra BC ACT 2610
      Child Support
      Child Support Complaints and Feedback
      Reply Paid 9815
      Melbourne, Vic 3001

    Please bear in mind, if you provide feedback or complaints to us in writing, it may take us longer to respond.

What we need from you

Please be clear, factual, and tell us the outcome you would like. Providing your name and contact details will also help us to get in touch and help resolve the issue. If you provide feedback anonymously, we won’t be able to respond to you personally.

How we’ll respond

We aim to resolve complaints within 10 working days. If we can’t resolve your complaint, we will explain why and let you know what other options you have.

If we need to contact you, it’ll be from a private number. For privacy reasons, we can’t leave a message. Unless your voicemail clearly identifies who you are.

Commonwealth Ombudsman

If you’re not happy with the outcome of your complaint you can take it further. You can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman through their website.

Page last updated: 18 July 2019