Centrepay is a free bill paying service.
Use Centrepay to arrange regular deductions from your Centrelink payment to pay for your bills.
You can start or stop using it whenever you like.
You can use it for many types of bills - for example child care, electricity and rent.
You’ll need to give us permission to pay your bills using part of your payment.
How it works
You tell us:
- who you want to pay
- how much you want to pay them
- which Centrelink payment you want the money to come from
- take the money out of your payment before you get it
- use the money to pay the bill for you every 2 weeks
We deduct your Centrepay payments last. Other amounts that we’ll deduct first are:
- participation penalty amounts and non-payment periods
- weekly payment amount - if you receive your payments weekly
- urgent and advance repayment amounts
- debt repayments
- child support payments
- tax deductions
- amounts directed to your Income Management account, and
- government housing rent deductions as part of the Rent Deduction Scheme
You’re in control
You can start, change or stop deductions at any time.
For example, you can:
- set a target amount for when they’ll stop
- set a date for them to stop within the next 12 months
- choose which bills we pay first
- change the amount if a bill goes up or down
- change the amount for up to 13 weeks, then automatically go back to the old amount
- stop deductions for up to 13 weeks, then automatically start them again - for example, you can pause child care deductions if your child isn’t in care for a few weeks