We assess your income to work out if you can get help with home aged care.
What it is
The means test assessment is where we check your income to work out:
- if you can get help from us to pay for home care
- how much you can get
How it works
The income test for aged care is the same one we use for income support payments.
We add up all your earnings, including any:
- deemed income from financial assets
- money or assets you’ve gifted in the last 5 years
Read more about the income test.
If you’re in a couple
We count your partner’s income too. We:
- add what they earn to what you earn
- divide the total by 2 to get the amount we use as your income
Who needs to apply
You need to apply for an income test for home care if you’re:
- a self-funded retiree
- on a non-income tested payment from us such as:
- Age Pension (Blind)
- Disability Support Pension (Blind)
- Carer Allowance
- Mobility Allowance, or
- on a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Disability Pension or War Widow’s Pension, and not on the Income Support Supplement
If you don’t apply
If you choose not to apply you’ll need to pay the full fees for home care. You won’t get any government help.
Who doesn’t need to apply
You don’t need to apply if you’re on a means tested income support payment such as:
- an Age Pension from us
- a Service Pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
If you’re on one of these payments you don’t need to apply for us to assess you. We’ll use details we already have to work out how much help you can get.
When to apply
You can apply before or after you start home care.
If you apply before, you can use the result of your means test for up to 120 days. But you’ll need to let us know if your income or anything else important changes.
How to apply
- Read the information on the Aged Care Fees Income Assessment form.
- Fill in the form.
- Post your form to:
- us, or
- the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
The addresses are on the form.
Home care fee caps
There are caps on the fees a home care provider can charge you. If the fees go over these limits, the government will pay the extra amount for you.
Read on the My Aged Care website about:
Tell us about changes
You must tell us about any changes to your income while we’re helping with your aged care fees.
Find out more
The My Aged Care website tells you more about:
If you still have questions, call us on the Aged Care Fee Assessments and Services line.