The easiest way to apply to give an assurance of support is online.
Before you start
Check if you're eligible to give an assurance of support.
Information you need
Make sure you have a:
- letter from the Department of Home Affairs that says a visa applicant must have an assurance of support
- clear understanding of your role as an assurer, including that you may have to pay us back money
If you’ll be the only assurer or you’re giving a joint assurance, you need:
- documents that confirm your identity
- your Customer Reference Number (CRN) if you have one
- proof of your Australian residence status - for example a record of your Australian citizenship or permanent residency
- evidence of income for the previous financial year, for example Notice of Tax Assessments for 2016-17
In some instances, your evidence of income can be a letter from the Australian Taxation Office.
You also need evidence of ongoing income. This can be:
- 2 recent consecutive payslips
- a letter from your accountant
- a letter from your employer, or
- a profit and loss statement
If you’re an incorporated or unincorporated organisation, you need to give us all of the above. We also need:
- proof of identity documents for the person applying on behalf of the organisation
- proof the organisation has an address in Australia - this can be an active Australian Business Number
- evidence of recent trading history for the organisation - this can be a tax return or a letter from a registered accountant
- proof the authorised person can sign on behalf of the organisation
- evidence the incorporated organisation is on the Australian Business Register website
If you’ll be the only assurer, or you’re giving a joint assurance, you can apply online. If you’re an organisation you can’t apply online. You need to apply by form.
Start your claim online
To apply online you need a myGov account. You need to link your myGov account to your Centrelink online account.
I have a Centrelink online account linked to myGov
Sign in to myGov to start your application.
I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account
If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN). Find this on a letter we’ve sent you and register for a Centrelink online account.
You can then create a myGov account and select Services to link Centrelink.
If you need help with your Centrelink online account or mobile app
- read the online account guides or
- watch our video demonstrations
Unable to apply online
If you’re unable to apply online you can apply by form.
The form you need to complete depends on if you're applying under the Community Support Program or not.
If you're not applying under the Community Support Program complete the Application to provide an Assurance of Support form.
If you are applying under the Community Support Program complete the Application to provide an Assurance of Support for Community Support Program form.
Don’t sign the declaration on the last page of the form until you submit it. You need to sign it in front of a service officer.
Submit your claim
If you’re applying online, you can electronically submit:
- your application, and
- most supporting document.
Read more about submitting your documents online.
Submit your form and supporting documents in person, at a service centre.
You’ll need to sign the declaration on the last page of the form in front of a service officer.
Wait for the results
We'll tell you if your application is successful.
You have the right to appeal our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.