Approved courses and institutions

You must study an approved course at an approved institution to get Austudy, Youth Allowance as a student, or Pensioner Education Supplement.

The 2017–18 Budget includes a measure Better Alignment of Student Payments which may change this information from 1 January 2018.

You can read more about the proposed changes on the Department of Social Services website.

Payments this applies to

You must do this to get:

Approved courses

Approved courses must meet certain rules. You may be studying an approved course if it’s one of the following categories:

  • secondary school course
  • special school course
  • school based apprenticeship
  • traineeship
  • pre-vocational or vocational education course
  • a course preparing you for tertiary study
  • a TAFE or university course
  • English as a Second Language course

Approved institutions

Approved institutions also meet certain rules. Your place of study may be an approved place if it’s a:

  • secondary school
  • TAFE or a registered training organisation
  • special school
  • higher education institution, like a university

What may be different

You can’t get Austudy if you’ve already done a doctorate.

You can’t get Pensioner Education Supplement if you’ve already done a:

  • masters, or
  • doctorate

Check if your course and institution are approved

We’ll tell you if your course is approved when you submit your claim.

You can connect with us on social media or call the students line to check if you’re studying an approved course.

Read more about approved courses and institutions on the Department of Social Services website.

Page last updated: 16 October 2017