Change of circumstances

It’s important to tell us if your circumstances change, so we can give you the right payment.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if there are changes to:

  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
  • your work status
  • your gender identity - gender updates are optional
  • your accommodation details - you do this using the accommodation details form
  • your living arrangements if you are single and start sharing your accommodation with anyone outside your family who is 16 or older - you do this using the relationship details form

You also need to tell us if:

  • you're leaving the country, temporarily or permanently
  • you get a lump sum payment
  • your or your partner's income or assets change
  • you have started or finished studying

How to tell us

You can use self service to update many of these changes yourself quickly and easily.

If you owe us money but no longer get a Centrelink payment

It is still important to tell us when there’s a change to your circumstances. If you move house and you still owe us money, you need to tell us within 14 days after the change.

There are different ways you can repay your debt. Read more about owing money.

Information about payments

There is more information about what you need to do to tell us about changes in your circumstances. Read more about how a change in your circumstances will affect your payment if you get:

Related information

Read more about:

Page last updated: 6 February 2018