Change of circumstances while getting Parenting Payment

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your payment. If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if:

  • your child stops living with you
  • another child comes into your care
  • you become single
  • you get a partner
  • you're getting child support payments and the amount changes
  • you change your address
  • you or your partner earns more or less
  • you don’t have to lodge a tax return
  • your care arrangements change, or
  • your work or study load changes

There are other changes of circumstances you need to tell us about.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov

It's never too late to report a change.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

Page last updated: 17 October 2017