Change of circumstances while receiving Child Care Benefit

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you're receiving Child Care Benefit.

For example, if:

  • your care arrangements change
  • your or your partner's income changes
  • your personal circumstances change
  • you change your address
  • you don't have to lodge a tax return
  • your work or study load changes, or
  • you leave Australia

If you don't tell us about the changes within 14 days, your payment may be affected. You may be overpaid and you'll probably have to pay money back.

If you deliberately don't tell us about changes, you could be charged with fraud, and a recovery fee may be imposed.

You don’t need to tell us if:

  • you change the child care service that your child attends, providing they're still attending a Child Care Benefit approved child care service - you'll need to provide the new child care service with your and your child's Customer Reference Numbers
  • the hours they attend child care changes, or
  • your child stops attending child care, if you intend to send your child to child care again in the future

Page last updated: 12 May 2018