We won't approve changes to travel we've booked under the ABSTUDY Fares Allowance unless there's good reason.
Accepted reasons include:
- being sick or hurt
- having an immediate family member die
- needing to go to the funeral of an immediate family member
- needing to join in a significant cultural event
- needing to change travel address details because your parents or guardian have recently moved
- taking part in a previously unplanned extracurricular activity such as a sport or religious event
You need to prove your situation before we can change your travel.
We won’t accept the following reasons:
- choosing to attend a festival, show or social event
- wanting to travel with a friend
- going to a sporting event when you knew the date of the event before we booked travel
You need to travel on the trip we book. If you don’t, you may have to pay extra costs and penalties. If you can’t travel because of exceptional circumstances, call:
- the ABSTUDY students line immediately, or
- if you go to a boarding school or stay at a hostel, call them directly
You need tell us at least 24 hours before your booked travel if you need to change or cancel it.