Child care fee assistance if you travel outside Australia

If you leave Australia you may not get your Child Care Subsidy and Additional Child Care Subsidy. There are things you need to know to keep getting them.

When your subsidy won’t change

You’ll still get your subsidy if you leave Australia for up to 6 weeks. You need to be using child care in Australia.

You may get your subsidy for up to 3 years if you’re:

  • deployed overseas with the Australian Defence Force, or
  • engaged in peacekeeping or capacity building activities overseas with the Australian Federal Police

You may get your subsidy for up to 6 weeks if you meet one of these visa requirements and travel reasons.

Visa requirements

  • Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790, or
  • Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 issued on or after 16 December 2014

Travel reasons

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to visit a very ill family member
  • for humanitarian reasons, to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings, or
  • to receive eligible medical treatment not available in Australia

If your child leaves Australia, it won’t affect your subsidy. Your child care service may still charge for child care when your child is overseas.

You can have 42 paid absences each financial year from child care, except occasional care. You can take an absence for any reason. You don’t need to give evidence. Read more about what happens if your child is absent from child care.

When your subsidy will stop

Your subsidy will stop if you leave Australia:

  • for more than 6 weeks
  • for more than 6 weeks, return to Australia, then go again within 6 weeks
  • to live in another country

If you’re a temporary protection type visa holder your subsidy will stop when you leave Australia.

If your subsidy stops while you’re outside Australia, you may have to submit a new claim when you return.

When to tell us about your travel

You should always tell us if you’re leaving Australia. You need to tell us before you leave.

You need to tell us if:

  • you’re going to live in another country
  • you’ll be away for more than 6 weeks
  • you haven’t been back in Australia for 6 weeks since your last return, or
  • you hold a partner provisional visa or temporary protection type visa

The easiest way to tell us is by contacting us. Australia’s Department of Home Affairs will advise us when you leave and return. However, you will still need to tell us about your travel plans.

What the subsidy rate is when you’re outside Australia

Your subsidy rate won’t change in most cases if you leave Australia for up to 6 weeks.

Read more about payments when outside Australia.

Page last updated: 16 August 2018