How to submit your claim for Bereavement Allowance after your partner’s death.
Before you start
- check if you are eligible for this payment
- read the information you need to know about your claim for Bereavement Allowance
Intent to claim
You can register an intent to claim so we can pay you Bereavement Allowance from the earliest possible date.
If you register your intent to claim:
- within 4 weeks of your partner's death - we can pay you from the date they died
- after 4 weeks but within 14 weeks of your partner's death - we can pay you from the date you registered your intent to claim
You need to submit your claim within 14 days of your intent to claim for us to pay you from the earliest possible date.
You cannot register your intent to claim after 14 weeks from your partner’s death, unless you are pregnant at the time of your partner’s death. If this is the case, you must lodge your intent to claim before these dates, whichever is the later:
- 14 weeks from your partner’s death
- your child is born, or
- you are no longer pregnant
If you can't print the forms:
You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim including:
- documents to confirm your identity
- proof of your Australian residence status
- an Income Stream Schedule from your provider for any income stream payments you may get
- proof that you were a member of a couple
- bank details
You will also need to provide us with your income and assets information.
Submit your claim
Within 14 days of telling us of your intent to claim, submit your completed forms and supporting documents:
Wait for the results
We'll tell you:
- if your claim is successful
- when we'll start paying you
- how much you'll get
You have the right to appeal any decision we make.
Read more about reviews and appeals.