Claiming Disability Support Pension

You should talk to us before you claim Disability Support Pension.

Before you start

You should:

Claim forms

To claim Disability Support Pension you need to complete:

You can:

  • print the claim forms, or
  • call us and ask us to send you the forms

Other forms and documents

You may need to complete some other forms to support your claim. Submit them with your claim or contact us if you need more time.

When you submit your claim, it’s important to provide all required medical evidence, information and documents. This allows us to assess your claim faster.

If you don’t provide all required evidence, we may be not be able to assess your claim and may reject it.

Medical evidence

You need to give us medical evidence to support your claim which shows how your disability or condition currently affects you.

It’s important to submit medical evidence with your claim form so we can assess your claim faster.

Use the Claim for DSP Medical Evidence Checklist to help you determine what medical evidence you need to submit with your claim. Read more about medical evidence.

Other forms and documents

If you

Complete this form

need to show evidence you’ve actively participated in a Program of Support

Participation in a Program of Support

are self employed or involved in a business

MOD F - Business Details

have involvement in a private company

MOD PC - Notes for Private Company

have involvement in a private trust

MOD PT - Notes for Private Trust

currently pay rent where you live

SU523 - Rent Certificate

are permanently blind

SA013 - Request for Ophthalmologist or Optometrist Report

are a resident in Australia or another country

MOD O - Residence in Australia and other countries

have separated from your partner since you last claimed a payment or service

MOD S - Separation details

are under 18 and it’s unreasonable for you to live at home

MOD Y - Unreasonable to live at home details

have received compensation or damages

MOD C - Compensation and Damages

have recently left your employment

SU001 - Employment Separation Certificate

want another person to act on your behalf

SS313 - Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf

Submit a claim

Return your completed claim form, identity documents, medical evidence, and any other documents we’ve asked for:

  • by post to:
    Department of Human Services
    Disability Services
    Reply Paid, 7806
    Canberra BC ACT 2610
  • in person at a service centre

After you submit your claim, we’ll tell you if we need more information or if you need to attend an assessment.

Wait for the result

If you’re eligible, we’ll let you know when payment will start and how much you’ll get.

If you don’t agree with our decision:

  • call us so we can check the details and explain the decision
  • if you still don’t agree you can request a review of the decision

Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 4 September 2017