Claiming Double Orphan Pension

Submit your claim for Double Orphan Pension as soon as possible.

Before you start

You should:

  • check if you’re eligible before your start your claim
  • tell us of your intent to claim

Intent to claim

An intent to claim lets us know you’re seeking payment before you start the process.

If you register an intent to claim, we’ll backdate your payment to the date you submit it. A family member or friend can call on your behalf to register an intent to claim.

If you haven’t claimed Family Tax Benefit for the child, you must submit a claim for this payment. You can claim up to 3 months before the child enters your care.

Register an intent to claim.

Information you need for your claim

You may need to give us:

  • proof of your and your partner’s Australian residency
  • proof of the child’s birth
  • confirmation of the child’s refugee status
  • proof of the change of care
  • the parenting plan or court order
  • confirmation of the child’s identity, or
  • confirmation of the date the child’s parent or parents died

Start your claim

To receive a claim form you can:

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form, and
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online, by post or in person at a service centre.


You can upload your claim form and supporting documents using the Document Lodgement Service. This can be accessed on your Centrelink online account with myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

If you already have a myGov account

Sign in to myGov to link to your Centrelink online account and do your Centrelink business.

Sign in to myGov

If you have a Centrelink online account

To do your business online, you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account.

If you don't have a myGov account, create one today. Once you have created your account, you can link it to your Centrelink online account. Watch the video and read more on how to link your online account to myGov.

Create a myGov account

If you don't have a Centrelink online account

If you’ve been a Centrelink customer before

You’ll have a Customer Reference Number. Use this to register for an online account.

This is anyone who’s had a payment or concession from us before, no matter how long ago.

If you haven’t been a Centrelink customer before

Visit a service centre and tell us you want to register for an online account. You’ll need to bring photo ID with you.

This is anyone who’s never had a payment or concession from us before.


By post

Post your form and the documents we ask for to:

Department of Human Services
Reply paid 7802
Canberra BC ACT 2610

In person

Bring your claim form and documents to a service centre.

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you:

  • if we accept your claim
  • when we’ll start paying you, and
  • how much you’ll receive

You have the right to appeal our decision. Read about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 15 November 2017