Claiming the Ex-carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card

To claim the Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card, you should register an intent to claim.

Before you start

Before you start your claim, read the Information you need to know about your claim for Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card.

Intent to claim

Register an intent to claim to let us know you will be applying soon.

We'll send you a claim form in the mail.

If you start you're claim online, an intent to claim will be automatically registered.

If you cannot register yourself, someone else can do it for you. Read more about someone to deal with us for you.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account. Your myGov account must be linked to Centrelink.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN). Find this on a letter we’ve sent you and register for a Centrelink online account.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID and tell us you want to register for a Centrelink online account.

You can then create a myGov account and select Services to link Centrelink.

If you need help with your Centrelink online account or mobile app, read the online account guides or watch our video demonstrations.

Claiming with forms

Complete the Application for a Health Care Card for former recipients of a Carer Allowance Health Card form you received in the mail or print one.

Supporting documents

You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim including:

Submit your claim

You need to give us:

  • your claim form
  • any other documents we’ve asked you for

You can do this online, or at a service centre.


If you are claiming online, you can submit your claim and most supporting documents electronically at the end of the process.

Read more about submitting your documents online.

Submit your confirmation of identity documents at a service centre within 14 days.

By form

Submit your form and supporting documents by post or in person at a service centre within 14 days within 14 days of registering your intent to claim.

Wait for the results

If your claim is successful, we’ll send your Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card to you in the mail.

Your card is valid for 12 months from the date you submitted your claim.

A month before your card is due to expire, we’ll send you a letter asking you to contact us if you are still a full time student and want to reapply.

We issue the card in your name only.

Read more about concession and health care cards.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 16 January 2018