The easiest way to claim the Low Income Health Care Card is online.
Before you start
- check if you’re eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card
- read What you need to know about your claim for a Low Income Health Care Card
- set up a Centrelink online account through myGov to claim online - if you already have one you won’t need to do this again
- confirm your identity with us if you haven’t done this before
Documents you might need
The claim form tells you if you need to give us extra documents.
We might ask for:
- proof of your and your partner’s income
- other documents that prove what you say in your claim
- documents to confirm your identity if you haven’t done this before
Start your claim online
To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.
I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov to start your claim.
I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink
Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.
I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account
If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.
You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.
If you can’t claim online
You can fill in a paper form.
Print the Claim for a Health Care Card form.
If you can’t do this, either:
- go to a service centre and ask for the form
- call us on:
If your partner also wants a Low Income Health Care Card you can both claim on the same paper form.
Submit your claim
You need to give us:
- your claim form
- any other documents we’ve asked for
If there are any documents you can’t submit online, take them to a service centre.
Wait for the result
If we accept your claim, we’ll post your card to you.
You can appeal our decision on your claim. Read about reviews and appeals.