Claiming Rent Assistance

You don't need to submit a claim for Rent Assistance. We'll check if you’re eligible when you claim another payment or move. We may ask you for documents.

Before you start

You only have to do something if we ask you to. This will usually be to complete a Rent Certificate, which we will send you.

Change where you live

If you change where you live, we’ll check if you can get Rent Assistance.

Use your Centrelink online account through myGov to:

  • confirm changes to where you live – you can also call us on your regular payment number or visit a service centre
  • provide proof that you pay rent – we may ask you to complete and submit a Rent Certificate

Submit your documents

We might ask you for a Rent Certificate or formal tenancy agreement. If we do, submit them:

Wait for the results

We’ll tell you if you can get Rent Assistance with the results of the other payment you claimed. Or, we’ll tell you if you start getting Rent Assistance after you move.

You will get your Rent Assistance with your other payment. We’ll tell you if this happens.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017